best calcium supplement

Best Calcium Supplement - Really Good Question

Calcium is essential for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth, which is where about 99% of the body's calcium is located. The other 1% of calcium is in the tissue and body fluids where it is involved in blood clotting and muscle contraction. Some of the health benefits of calcium include reducing the risk of osteoporosis, relieving leg cramps, improving PMS and maximizing bone density in teenagers. The richest food sources of calcium are dairy products, sardines and sesame seeds. Though dietary sources of calcium are best, some may need more then the RDA. Those who may want to consider calcium supplements include vegans, postmenopausal women and teenage girls. But which is the best calcium supplement.?

Calcium supplements come under a number of chemical names such as calcium carbonate, calcium malate, calcium gluconate, calcium phosphate, calcium citrate and calcium citrate malate. Calcium supplements can come in capsule, tablet, powder, liquid and gel-cap forms. A 2003 study by Consumer Reports tested 30 different calcium supplements. The best calcium supplements, as far as lead levels, ease of absorption and value, were Kirkland Signature Calcium 500 mg from Costco and Walgreens Finest Natural Calcium 500+D.

Another study on the benefits of various types of calcium supplements showed that calcium citrate was the most easily absorbed. Calcium carbonate was the best value and had the second best absorption rate. Calcium gluconate and calcium phosphate had the lowest levels of elemental calcium. This study also stated calcium supplements from bone meal, oyster shells or dolomite should be avoided as they may contain elevated levels of lead or heavy metals. A physician can recommend which calcium supplement would be best for a particular patient.

For more information or to choose from a variety of related products and services, choose from the following:

About The Author:

Martin Smith is a successful author and publisher of http://www.1st-vitamins-n-supplements.com An online resource for buying all kinds of vitamins and supplements find information Tips and reviews..

© 2005 www.1st-vitamins-n-supplements.com

© 2005 www.1st-vitamins-n-supplements.com