calcium vitamins

Calcium Vitamins - Tips and Advise

Calcium vitamins and supplements can help maximize bone density, reduce the risk of osteoporosis and relieve leg cramps. Calcium vitamin supplements come in tablet, capsule, gel-cap, and powder form. Calcium may also be taken as part of a multi-vitamin. When shopping for calcium supplements look for them under chemical names such as calcium carbonate, calcium malate, calcium gluconate, calcium phosphate, calcium citrate and calcium citrate malate.

Approximately 99% of the body's calcium is found in the bones and teeth and is necessary for maintaining their strength. The other 1% of the body's calcium is found in body tissues and fluids and is necessary for blood clotting and muscle contraction. Vitamin D is essential to calcium absorption. Muscle and bone problems are signs of a possible calcium deficiency.

Calcium supplements have a number of therapeutic uses. A 600mg nightly calcium supplement combined with a magnesium supplement may relieve the troublesome symptoms of PMS. Studies have shown that the bone density of adolescent girls can be improved by a daily 800mg calcium supplement, which may also reduce the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures in later life. Whereas other studies have proven that 400mg daily supplements of calcium reduce bone loss in postmenopausal women.

Supplements and multi-vitamins with calcium are sold under a number of brand names. These include: Flintstones Vitamins, Centrum, Caltrate, Atkins, One A Day and Olay Vitamins. Calcium supplements can be purchased just about anywhere vitamins are sold including, department stores, pharmacies, supermarkets, health food stores, mail order catalogs and the internet. Look for them at stores like GNC, Rite Aid, Walmart and Vitamin Shoppe.

For more information or to choose from a variety of related products and services, choose from the following:

About The Author:

Martin Smith is a successful author and publisher of http://www.1st-vitamins-n-supplements.com An online resource for buying all kinds of vitamins and supplements find information Tips and reviews..

© 2005 www.1st-vitamins-n-supplements.com

© 2005 www.1st-vitamins-n-supplements.com